All Hallows Church
It is regarded by some experts as one of England’s finest examples of a medieval church. Its rustic charms have touched the hearts of both those who use it as their place of worship and those who hanker after the traditional country way of life it represents.
The church has recently undergone considerable renovation, to the tune of more than quarter of a million pounds after weathering history since its construction in 1270 had taken its toll on the church.
The lords of The Manor, the de-Mitton family, laid the foundations for All Hallows, which is a grade I listed treasure. For centuries second sons took a living from it as Parsons, visiting their flock of farming gentry and helping their remaining congregation of predominantly farm workers, celebrate life in marriage and baptisms and mourn loss in funerals.
Its ground were used as a practice arena for longbow shooting and often, as an impromptu market place, where farmers and villagers met to sell their wares.
The first impression on entering the church is that one steps down into it and the nave slopes downwards towards the chancel, this is unusual but not unique among English churches.
There are six bells in the tower, all have inscriptions with the dates 1567, 1567, 1624, 1726, 1834 and 1872
In the churchyard stands a fourteenth century cross head found in the churchyard just before 1801 and mounted on a new column, also a sun dial dated 1683.
The church was extensively re-ordered in the year 2000 to open up the back of the church and provide more space and improve facilities. The unifying theme for the re-ordering was “crowns of glory” and you can see them reflected in the glass screen of the Tower arch at the rear of the balcony, in the carpeting, in the chandeliers and the tiles of the altar platform.
The major renovations also consisted of, essential roof repairs, new level flooring, exterior floodlighting, new interior lighting from spectacular crown- shaped chandeliers, which focus on the splendid beamed ceiling and a downstairs digital organ. All signs of modernity such as wires and sound systems are concealed well beneath wood panelling so as not spoil the church’s medieval flair and keeping within this church’s wonderful character.
A visit to the church is recommended and tours can be arranged, including a not for the faint-hearted climb to the church roof via the tower. From such a height, the River Ribble plains, dotted with grazing sheep, stretched out to Pendle Hill and Kemple end. It is a view guaranteed to make every Lancastrians heart swell with pride, not only for the natural beauty of their home landscape, but at the skill of their forefathers for having created and bequeathed the heritage that is All Hallows Church.
For further information please contact:
The Revd. Gill Mack
Tel: (01254) 826686
Every Sunday morning at 9.30am
Every fourth Sunday Evening Prayer at 7.00pm